Admission Policies and Procedures
- A minimum of five undergraduate courses in psychology: general psychology, statistics, and experimental psychology
- Two additional courses acceptable to the departmental admissions committee.
- Must submit academic transcripts for any undergraduate and graduate work
- Must complete the GRE. Candidates are encouraged to complete the GRE Psychology Subject Test if Psychology was not their major as an undergraduate.
Completion of an online application and formal campus interview
Admissions Policy and the Application Process
The admissions process will include the completion of an online application and formal campus interview. The application process will occur completely online through the EKU Graduate School website (http://gradschool.eku.edu/apply), including submission of personal statement, 3 letters of recommendation, and CV/resume. Once materials have been received they will be reviewed by our program faculty. Applicants will be ranked based on GRE, GPA, personal statement, letters of recommendation, and professional experience. Our top candidates will be invited for a formal campus interview at the end of January or beginning of February. Following the interviews, final selections will be made and invitation for admission will be extended. Historically speaking, candidates with a GPA of 3.0 or higher and GRE scores at the 50th percentile or higher will be competitive. Admission is competitive and limited to available space. Meeting the minimum requirements, therefore, does not guarantee admission. The admssions committee utilizes a holistic approach to identifying the best students for the program.
Applications from diverse students are especially encouraged. Please see the Diversity section of our program website for more information and resources related to recruiting and retaining students from diverse and underrepresented backgrounds.
Applications must be completed by December 1st in order to be considered for the next entering class.
Completed applications will include:
- Completed online application through EKU Graduate School (http://gradschool.eku.edu/apply).
- Academic transcripts from every institution you have attended (undergraduate and graduate level). These transcripts need to be sent directly to EKU from that institution.
- GRE General Test. You are encouraged to take the GRE Psychology Subject Test if Psychology was not your major field of focus as an undergraduate.
Personal statement (2-3 typewritten, double spaced pages). In completing your personal statement you might consider reflecting on some of the following areas:
- What personal characteristics do you possess that you believe are important to the practice of psychology? Do you possess any particular strengths that you feel will be an asset to you in graduate school? What about any personal challenges that you believe might hinder your progress?
- What are your professional goals and how do they match the mission of our program, particularly our focus on rural and underserved areas?
- Describe any experiences that have particularly prepared you for graduate study in clinical psychology (e.g., clinical co-op/internships, research experiences, particular coursework, etc.).
- If you feel that any portion of your application does not accurately reflect your academic skills or preparation for graduate school in psychology (e.g., GRE, GPA, etc.), please explain in your personal statement.
- Three letters of recommendation from individuals familiar with your abilities relevant to graduate-level study in psychology. These letters will be submitted online using a recommendation form.
- Curriculum Vitae/Resume.
For more information or questions regarding the application and admission process, please contact:
Dr. Theresa Botts
Director of Admissions, Psy.D. Program
521 Lancaster Ave.
127 Cammack Building
Richmond, KY 40475